Friday, August 04, 2006

Infamous tattoo...

I am continually amazed at the couple's I met, including my wife and myself. Yes, I understand that is a non-connected or conjunctive thought or something like that, but I know what I am talking about.

It started, the thought that is, when I was watching the TiVo of Letterman last night. He had Sandra Bullock on the show. She is beautiful and engaging...hot! And she's married to Jesse James of West Coast Chopper fame on the Discovery channel. He has full body tattoos. She, though a superstar actress, 'seems' pretty tame compared to him...in the Breakfast Club kind of way.

We have a 'frequent flyer'(ick!) patient who has multiple system (think organs--heart, lungs, kidneys...) failure. Frankly, she is very sick and each time we see her as an inpatient she seems to be getting worse. It's kind of sad. Because of her health OR lack of it, she's cranky, easily aggitated, moody, doesn't want the priest to come and anoint her or talk to her and a complainer...when she is in a good mood.

Her husband is always at her side. They have been married 63 years. He is patient, calming, warm and engaging. He embodies the vows "in sickness and in health."

"Anna" was back in the hospital, "Henry" was at her side. Today instead of his usual long sleeve shirt on, he had a short sleeve shirt. Right...no big deal. Wrong...big deal.

On his inside forearm is a tattoo.

This isn't some ordinary tattoo. "Oh crap..." I think to myself.

"Henry, can I ask you a question?"

"Sure, chaplain, what is it?"

I take a deep breath, "could you tell me about that tattoo on your arm?"

"This one!"

"Yes, sir!"

"I got that at Auschwitz in 1938"

Oh damn...I think silently to my self.

"Is it ok to talk about this?" I gently ask.

"Yes, what do you want to know?"

"Ummmm, I don't know what I WANT to
know, but I am glad you are alive and here. What happened?"

"My family, my mom, dad and baby sister and I were taken by the SS and loaded on a train with the other Jewish families and after a two day train ride ended up at Auschwitz. As we were paraded in my family was sent to the left and I was sent to the right. I never saw them again."

"I never saw them again...." those words ring in my ear.

"How long were you there?"

"Until the US soldiers freed us. General George S Patton himself!"

"Is there anything I can do for you?"

He looks deep into my eyes, "We're ok, chaplain, just doing what you are doing." Henry says with a level of compassion, wisdom and experience I have no idea about.

"Yes, sir."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home