Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Band of sisters

Evelyn's a 85 year old lady in the hospital for a routine procedure, meaning routine it's her and not me. Frankly the way that medical care is run these days, just to be admitted into the hospital requires a note from a higher power.

Evelyn is a bright, full of life lady. I ask her if she needs any more grandchildren? I am looking for a grandmother. She laughs.

Over the next few minutes she tells me that she was a nurse for over 50 years, "but I am not sure I an RN these days?"

"How come?"

"Nursing has changed so much. It's very complicated."

"When did you start your Nursing career?"

"During WWII. I was a RN like in a MASH unit, before there were MASH units."

"You mean like in Band of Brothers?"

"Exactly. In fact, I was assigned a battalion exactly like that."

"Where did you serve?"

"From the Aragon Forest all the way into Germany. Those boys were amazing. What they faced and fought was unbelievable. We were gased, saw unimagineable horrors and still we knew we were fighting for the truth."

"I wish someone would tell the stories of the women of WWII. The RN's and others who were there."

"Thank you. I feel it was the greatest work of my life."

"Bless you for all you did."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home