Sunday, February 19, 2006

universal healthcare, reason #2

Must read Fast Company March 2006 issue.

Fast Talk interview with Malcolm Gladwel;, author of Tipping Point and Blink, wonderfully written and engaging books.

Malcolm connects the demise of Detroit car industry with the astromonical cost of health care insurance for retirees. Frankly, every US business is cutting back health care insurance, pension plans (even the company I work for) mainly because of the cost of their retirees place on the bottom line (overhead) of the company.

Think about it: if every car in the US has an added $1200 on it before it rolls out of the factory...

Yes, I understand this is a chaplaincy blog, but when the majority of the patients admitted in my hospital have NO insurance, for whatever reason, and the majority of them ARE working or retired after working their whole lives, then something is completely wrong.

It's not a communist ideology to take care of people.

I thought it was the gospel of Jesus' ministry (that in our charter of the hospital I serve in)...and that's spiritual.

But what do I know? ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home