Saturday, January 21, 2006

A tale of two faiths...

Both faith expressions are dealing with the impending death of a family member. Both tragic and too early. Both families declare themselves to be God fearing people. Both are grieving and sad. One is appropriate. The other is toxic.

The first family has gathered around their daughter who is 40 years old and is dying from a multitude of causes unrelated to anything she has done. Her mother tells that "since she was one year old she has fought so many things and as always pulled through. She is not going to pull through this." Mom is accurate. She's not happy about it, but the evidence is undeniable. The family is telling stories, crying, laughing, remembering, praying and grateful for their care. Mom asks for supportive prayer that God will be gracious to her daughter. Their faith is real, being challenged, open and honest.

The second family has also gathered around their son who is dying from AIDS at 35. The moment I enter the room mom starts preaching "Oh, chaplain, I am so glad you are here. We are just praying for Bobbie that he will live, but I have to tell you about what I read today in Acts 9. It's about the prodigals coming home and how we have to accept them even though they are not clean."

"What?" I stammer, as I look at the patient who is disengaged from everything in the room and mostly his mother.

Mom thens goes into a diatribe about a wedding she did recently. I will say this again. A wedding where she preached "to" them until they got it.

"Who is the prodigal?"

"What?"

"Are you the prodigal?"

"No I AM NOT!"

I look at the patient in the eyes and say "if I can be of service to you please let me know. The chaplains are here for you."

I walk out shaking my head.

Toxic faith is frighteningly evil whether it be taliban or christian.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home