Tuesday, November 15, 2005

the human spirit is amazing

The will to thrive in humans is incredible. Yes, I am aware how much of an obvious, understatement that is, but every time I see it I am reminded that God knew what she was doing when we were create. How else does Victor Frankl or Dietrich Bonehoeffer write and create community in the worst mankind has ever designed in Aushwitz and the other horrific terrors of
WWII?

"All I want to know in my life is love. I feel I am not asking for much, but with the life I had it seems like an out of reach. That why the decision I have made hurts so much and is so right all at the same time," the 40ish suicide survivor tells me this moning.

"Can you tell me about the decision you have made?"

"I have decided that I am not going to marry my fiance'."

"Why have you decided that?"

"He is too negative. I have known he for over 20 years; we are good friends, but he is just too negative. Frankly, I have enough of my own problems. I can't handle his also." Tears begin to flow.

"Sounds like you have made a courageously scary decision."

"I hope so. I want to know what love is. With everything I with through with my mother, being in foster homes and being scared to be alive I just want to be loved and I know that this relationship isn't it."

"Bless you."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home