Friday, October 28, 2005

The Unspokenness of Prayer

"Chaplain, you are going to stop making our patients cry."

I did not do it on purpose; in fact, I was somewhat surprised when it happened, but this is a hospital environment and all level and kinds of emotions tend to happen.

Two patients this week starting crying during a time of prayer near the end of visit. It's happened before, but these stood out and had me thinking about "what's going on here?" "What am I missing?" Otherwise known affectionately as chaplain "chaplain thyself!"

After the second patient was quietly crying after our prayer I asked "tell me about the tears?"

Keep in mind that she has said to my chaplain face "I am doing ok; I can't think of anything that I need." Then the prayer, the tears and... "Well, I am just grateful that I am alive. This surgery and all has been much harder than I expected and I have been really scared recently. Your prayer reminded me that God hasn't forgotten me and that made me cry."

"It going to make me cry also."

"It's ok." "Yes, ma'am it is ok."

To which I added, "I am amazed at the sacredness of prayer. The words that are spoken seem to connect with words that are unspoken and there is an understanding and sense that God is present. It is hard to explain, but obvious when it happens."

"Thank you helping me let my emotions and feelings come out. I feel whole again."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home