Monday, October 17, 2005

a life worth living....

Saw Elizabethtown over the weekend. The critics are trying to kill the movie. The critics are elitist, snobs and full of themselves. We should make junior highers movie critics and for that matter weather forecasters...but I digress.

Elizabethtown is a wonderful movie about the meaning of life, family, the "wierd-o" factor of family and love. It is an engaging spiritual journey of a lost soul whose priorities are so screwed up that after a HUGE financial screw up considers ending his life.

I now live in an area that has a high attempted suicide rate of white women 28-45 years old. This is an highly affluent area, with home prices over 700K, so high that some of our Doctors have left because they could not afford to live here. We are entering 'suicide' season here. It started early this year. Last year, my first introduction to 'suicide' season saw 17 attempted suicides in 11 weeks. This does not include those who 'finished the act" (sic). The old timers at the hospital stated "don't worry chaplain, it's been this way for a) for a long time or b) as long I can remember." I guess I should update the stats. We did have 2 men also. "The reason we have so few men is because when they do it, they really do it."

That doesn't make me feel any better!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home