Thursday, September 29, 2005

Highly skilled, lowly tech-ed?

There is a building fire and crankiness in me. Can anyone tell me why I have better technology in my house than I have at the office? I work in a hospital that the community and it's patient demand to have to highest level of equipment and service and the technology we have is 15 years behind the times.

I AM THE ONLY PERSON I MY HOSPITAL WHO CHARTS BY COMPUTER. The Doctor's don't. Case management doesn't. We have email. Welcome to the 80's!

We have T1 internet assess. So does EVERY elementary school in America. BIG Deal! I almost have that at home.

I have a cell phone with messaging and video. At the hospital we have nothing! Oh, I have a pager...

The software we use is DOS based crap. DOS! Remember that crapola. It is cumbersome. It does not even word wrap. It is not intuitive. Even Microsoft could build better crap than Meditech. Damn, even hackers could do that.

We have offices that still have Windows 98 on their desktops that don't interact with the overall system. I have XP thankfully.

It's pissing me off.

I want wireless handheld PDA to chart and react to emergent needs and track patients. I want everyone using the same equipment with instant access and communication between disciplines and offices in the hospital. I want Internet access in every room for patients and phones that dial out long distance. How come I have unlimited long distance for $20 a month and the hospital has nothing for patients. What crap!

Sometimes I feel I am in a third world country working in the highest skilled, highest need industry in the world with low tech tools.

I had better tech in the former local church I served in with laptops, projectors, video on demand, wireless access, high speed internet access, cutting edge computers and software...makes you wonder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home