Friday, September 23, 2005

I just want to be friends!

It is not easy to avoid getting involved in some patients situation.

I walk into a very quiet, dark patients' room. He is laying there very quietly. States he was like to have a visit.

"Sir, why are you here in the hospital?"

"I have a lot of stress in my life and everything is collapsing around me. The doctor's think I have had a heart attack or a stroke and I probably did. But it's the stress that's killing me."

"What kind of stress are you talking about?"

"My wife left me and ever since then things are going bad. I have been having chest pains and breathing problems. This is the first time I have been in the hospital." He starts crying....

"Sounds like you are here for a broken heart."

"That's what I think also. I don't know what happened. All I know is that my wife now tells me that she just wants to be friends. Can you believe that?"

"Just wants to be friends?" Oh no. Don't women know that the meanest, sickest, most sadistic thing you can say to a man is "I just want to be friends." Honestly, tell me I'm fat. Tell me you hate me. Tell me that my mother makes you sick, but never never never never tell me you just want to be friends.

We talked for quite awhile and then the phone rings. 'Bob' answers the phone. It's his wife calling to see how he is. "No, I can't come see you." "Then why did you call me?" "Oh, just to see how you are and let you know I care." "If you cared, you'd come see me..."

Diagnosis: Heart Attack Reality: Broken Heart

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home