Monday, August 07, 2006

the chaplain gets CPE'd...

CPE'd is a term created to described/created by our wives and then friends to inform us that they are patients to be 'interrogated' or interviewed. Basically when we've been told "Stop CPEing me!" it means we've ticked them off.

A couple of weeks ago I was in the hospital myself receiving treatment for thyroid cancer, actually the treatment to rather straight forward and simple. Other that it is a 4-5 week process.

As I am preparing to be discharged the radiology tech "Eric" turns to me and asks "Have you considered changing any of the treatment options you have undergone?"

Shocked by the question, I mumble "Huh? What are you talking about?"

"Have you ever thought about if you had to do this over again that you would do this differently? Take a different course?"

"Wow, Eric, no one, no Doctor, tech, friend or family member has ever asked me that question. You got me."

"Well,..." Eric pushes undaunted. My thought is 'who's the chaplain here?'

"Actually I have. If I was going to change anything I would not have had the radiation treatment after my acinic cell recurrence three years ago. To me, it seems like I have had all kinds of complications since then. I have lost all but one of my upper left teeth which my Dentist states is a direct result of radiation. My endocrinologist told my getting thyroid cancer is directly attributed to radiation treatment. It has put my jaw at serious risk for necrosis. Top that off, there is NO evidence, in the EVIDENCE BASED FIELD OF MEDICINE, that radiation has any affect or effective healing properties for acinic cell. It's theory/ best guess/ educated pre-caution and standard protocol. Which means no one has a clue, but we probably should do this just in case...in case what? Honestly I have no idea."

"I was just wondering if you had thought about other options?"

Too much disclosure...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home