Monday, August 29, 2005

i think i am going to need some more information!

"Chaplain, I think I need to talk to you." "Ok, what's going on?"

"Well, I am been a Christian my whole life and I think I am losing my faith!"

"I believe I am going to need some more information."

"Like I said, I am worried. I have started reading the Bible for the first time in my life and I don't think I like it. Have you read the Bible?" "Yes!" (In my mind I state: I am a minister who served in churches for the last 24 years, have I read the Bible? Are you kidding me? Duh!)

"What is causing this crisis for you?"

"You know that story about Lot and his daugthers who got him drunk and took advantage of him?"(Genesis 39:30-38) I nod yes. "Why is that in there? It horrible!" "Yes, it is."

"I just don't understand why God would allow that to be written about...incest, com' on that's not right."

"I agree, it isn't right. One of the reasons I like the Bible is that it shows and reveals the total person. It's not a fairy tale. There are villians and victors, saints and sinners. I see myself in many of the stories (not that one...). I am not perfect. I am a flawed person who loves God and is loved by God. Keep reading. There are incredible stories of faith and hope, saddness and betrayal. Don't give up." A patient calls him for help and off he goes...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home