Wednesday, August 24, 2005

how do you talk to dead people?

Chaplains get ask all kinds of questions. I must admit that this one was new.

Late last night a patient takes a turn for the worst; I am talking to the family and am asked "How...how exactly do you talk to a dead person?"

Chaplains are taught to listen with a "third ear." It is listening for what the words that are behind the words. "This is a tough time for you and your family. And at times it can be hard to know what to say or how to communicate your love and feelings. Most people want to know they are loved and cared for."

"I am so scared. I don't want him to die. This is one of the hardest things I have ever had to face and I feel so unprepared."

"When you were together what did you do?" "We laughed about some of the things we have done in our lives and family. We shared stories. We prayer together and enjoyed being together." "That sounds wonderful. Do that. Celebrate your lives together. Laugh. Cry. Pray. Just be together. What a beautiful expression of your love for each other!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home